Saturday, February 26, 2011

Greener Laundry care of Seventh Generation

I recently wrote about my commitment to completely make a change to a natural lifestyle. I already incorporate many eco-conscious items in my home, so I decided that I would start my transition with cleaning products. This is actually one of the easier things everyone can do to "be more green." The product supply for these items seems to be growing by leaps and bounds so they are becoming much more cost comparable to their less eco-conscious counterparts. One great example of this is the Seventh Generation line of products (which also include paper and feminine items).


I got in touch with the folks at Seventh Generation because I wanted to see how their products fare compared to their non green alternatives. I received the Natural Fabric Softener Sheets, the Free & Clear Chlorine Free Bleach, & the Natural Laundry Detergent. The first thing I noticed upon their arrival was that the fragrance of the dryer sheets and detergent was Eucalyptus and Lavender-two smells I love.

I had just done laundry and I only do it once a week in effort to save sanity and water, so I had to wait a little while before I got to use the products. Laundry day finally rolled around and I got to use the new stuff. The fragrance was great as I expected. The amount I had to use was much less by comparison with the other brand I had been using. The clothes even held the fragrance after the cycle.

I opened the dryer sheets. They looked kind of like a brown paper bag with little pin holes in it, not that mystery fabric you normally see. I tossed one into the dryer along with my clothes and waited. I have to admit, I was hoping the clothes would still be fragrant once they were dry, but they simply smelled clean. I was a little disappointed by that at first because as I said, I love those smells, but then I decided that this was a good thing-I don't know that I want to walk around smelling like my laundry all day.

I did do a cycle of white clothes as well with the Free & Clear Bleach. It was nice not to have the chemical smell that comes along with using a chlorine bleach and my clothes still came out nice and clean. Overall, I was very happy with Seventh Generation laundry line and would use them again. Another thing I love? The dryer sheets can be composted!

I seem to find their cleaning products for the least amount at Target (although I also don't shop at any other similar box store). Target even has a coupon for $1 off of a Seventh Generation product in their coupon section (and even has an exclusive fragrance of the laundry detergent that is a few dollars cheaper than their others). You can also sign up for coupons on the Seventh Generation page.

Oh! I have recently discovered that you can buy their items in bulk on amazon.com, but this is a topic I will save for an upcoming post. Speaking of another post...head over to my Giveaway page for a great prize package from Seventh Generation!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment