Thursday, February 17, 2011

Making the Switch to a Natural Lifestyle





I know that making the switch to a natural, organic, eco-friendly, fair trade lifestyle can be overwhelming, but I don’t think you have to do it all at once. It’s an ongoing process that takes awhile to get the hang of, and in many cases, budget for.
For quite some time I’ve wanted to make the switch to completely organic, eco-friendly products, but to be honest, it always seemed too expensive to do all at once, so I’ve just done what I could, when I could.  At the time I am writing this, I have already made the switch for many of the products I use in my home.  I also turn off the electronics when I leave the room, I turn the heat down at night, I use rechargeable batteries, and use CFL light bulbs to not only save electricity, but also a little cash.
With that being said, I’ve made a decision to actively completely make the switch. I’m just going to do it a little at a time. I’ve decided that I will start with cleaning products. I have already been using both Seventh Generation and Ecos brands in my home. You would be surprised at the cost comparison; it’s not as bad as you would think. I have also made a commitment to go to the farmer’s markets in my area more often. This helps both the local farmers and my wallet. I am also looking into CSAs (community supported agriculture) in my area and am already planning out my own garden for the spring.
I think if I (and you) can plan ahead, there’s no reason that I (and you) shouldn’t be able to follow through to meet this goal. I think it’s doable, so give it a try. No one will fault you for making the effort and doing it a little at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment