Thursday, April 7, 2011

Can You Recycle Your Pizza Box? The Answer May Surprise You...

I try to recycle as much as I can. Every other week, I carry my 3 or 4 containers of recycyling to the curb. I've done this for years and yet, after all this time, I am beginning to doubt what I think is recyclable. For instance it was several years before I found out that the plastic bottle caps on my water/soda bottles were not recyclable. So, all those years I thought my bottles were being recycled, they'd actually been tossed in the trash. Nice huh?

Also, I never knew that you couldn't toss pizza boxes in there either. Apparently the oils in from the pizza make it incompatible with the recycling process. This little tid bit of information came from a post called The Pizza Box Mystery on a website called Earth911. If you aren't familiar with the website, take a few minutes to check it out. There is a ton of great information regarding environmentally friendly lifestyles.

One of the features I love most is that you can find a recycling center for a wide variety of everyday items using their search engine. It's a great resource and I am happy to have found it. Oh! They even have an iphone app!  Hopefully from now on, all the items that end up in my recycling bin will actually be recyclable.

No comments:

Post a Comment