Thursday, April 7, 2011

Whipped and Refreshing

I would have never thought I'd describe an ice cream as refreshing but I'm about to. I admit, I love ice cream. I like to think I'm a pretty healthy eater, but let me be honest, chances are, if there's organic or fair trade ice cream in my freezer, I'm going to eat it.

I got in touch Julie's Ice Cream because I've often wandered down the freezer section of the grocery store and past their pretty boxes and pints of organic ice cream wondering if they were good. I learned that Julie's has a sister (well, I should probably say brother) company called Alden's.

Most of the grocery stores in my area that carry Julie's, carries the more "novelty" items, so that's what I chose. I decided to try out their Ice Cream Sandwiches. They came 6 in a box so even my kids could enjoy them. The ice cream center almost had a whipped quality and it was just the right amount of sweetness to leave me satisfied without feeling guilty.  The kids even liked them more than the leading brands they've tried in the past. I wonder what their sorbet is like...


I wanted to give the kids another opportunity to help me review a product, so I kept them in mind when I picked out a container of Alden's Mint Chip Ice Cream. They've always loved mint and chocolate together, and I admit, so have I. The first thing I noticed when I opened the lid was that it didn't smell artificial or sugary-it smelled fresh. The first spoonful I tried was simply refreshing. The rest of the bowlful was just as delicious. I think I'm going to have to try out the Strawberry next. Yes, organic ice cream is a little more expensive than non-organic, but it's worth it-especially if you consider eating ice cream a treat.



Logo Credit: Julie's Organic Ice Cream
Image Credit: Better Than Broke

No comments:

Post a Comment