Friday, April 15, 2011

What In The World Is Kamut?

I got in touch with Bob's Red Mill-an employee owned company often known for their grains. I knew them from purchasing TVP which I have used on several occasions. One thing I love about them is that they have what I can only describe as a "General Store Appeal." I could easily pictures their products lining the wall to wall shelves behind the cashier's table of an old town general store. I wanted to be able to try something new and share it with all of you. so when I got the opportunity to try it, I couldn't resist.


The company has over 400 items in production include a good variety of organic and gluten-free. Indeed, looking through their catalog myself, I was a amazed at the variety of items they had. I browsed through trying to decide what I'd like to try. This was difficult. I decided to go with Apple Strawberry Granola, Organic 7 Grain Pancake & Waffle Mix, and the Organic Kamut Berries. I had never heard of anything called Kamut-let alone a Kamut Berry so I had to try it.

I know, you're probably wondering the same thing I was: What in the world is a Kamut Berry? As it turns out, Kamut is a grain similar to wheat which is believed to have come from Ancient Egypt. The word itself stems from the Hieroglyphic term for wheat. The berry is the kernal. I couldn't wait to try it for myself, so I was excited when my products came in the mail.


The first thing I tried out was the Apple Strawberry Granola. It was just the right combination of fruity and crunchiness. It was definitely a family pleaser. Next up was the Organic 7 Grain Pancake Mix. While I'm a big fan of grainy pancakes, my kids are not, so when they tried and loved these, I was very happy. We all loved them. They were just the right amount of graininess. I went by the recipe on the package the first time around, but on the second round, I added cinnamon (I like adding stuff to my pancakes).

I took a little time to figure out the best way to cook the Kamut Berries. Many of the recipes I found were for a salad, but I wanted something different. I decided to reference the Bob's Red Mill website for a recipe. They have a recipe listed there for Kamut Berry and Orzo Pilaf, so that's what I went with. I added a little more garlic and some green peas to the recipe and changed the chicken broth to vegetable broth, but otherwise kept it the same. I was very pleased with the result (and so was the family). The Berries reminded me of a corn kernal so I can see why it would be great in a salad.

The only negative thing I can say is that you should be prepared for the prep time as they need to cook for about 45 min (when soaked overnight-slightly longer if not soaked first) prior to creating your recipe.  As you remember that's coming it's no big deal. I can't wait to try it again in different ways. It's a great find.

Want to try these great items for yourself ???

I am happy to say that Bob's Red Mill is going to sponsor a giveaway. We will be giving away the same package I recieved:

1-Apple Strawberry Granola
1-Organic 7 Grain Pancake & Waffle Mix
1-Organic Kamut Berries

The gieveaway ended Friday, April 22 at 11:59pm EST.


No comments:

Post a Comment